The Artist Residency program was conceived of as a regenerative intercultural meeting place, where international artists can share experiences and sensibilities. The residency is aimed particularly at international artists who are enthusiastic about working within Toffia’s environment. The program offers artists the opportunity to confront new ideas or experiment with their work and the particular territory of Sabina region.
The residency is open to individual professional artists working in puppetry/marionettes (all forms), visual arts, photography, film & video, music/sound art, media arts, performing arts and creative writing*. Each residency period concludes with an Open Studios day. Each residency period concludes with an Open Studios day.
* Please note that we cannot provide facilities for printmaking, sculpture, ceramics or large-scale painting.
The residency is hosted within a renovated 13th Century church/theater building, which also hosts various cultural activities for the community (theater, concerts, etc.) Located in Toffia – a small and quiet medieval hilltop village in the middle of Sabina, an olive oil producing area about 60km NE of Rome, Italy.
Spring session: April, May, and June;
Autumn session: October, and November.
Paid by Host
Accommodation & studio spaces. Utilities & administrative costs, internet service.
Paid by Artist
33OC is a nonprofit organization currently functioning without any external financing. At the moment, we can continue to host artists only on a fee basis. The cost is 250 Euros/month per artist. Residents are responsible for their travel, work materials, food and personal expenses during the residency.
Deadline for Spring 2018
The residencies are intended as professional development opportunities for contemporary artists. Artistic merit is the basis for all selections. Proposals for self-directed creative residencies must be compatible with our location and the available workspaces, facilities and resources.
The application can be made online only via the link above. We do not accept applications via email. During the application process you will be prompted to:
- Complete the application form.
- Submit a current resume of maximum 2 pages.
- Upload up to 10 work samples: images, audio clips and/or URLs to video (depending on discipline) of your work created in the last three years.
- Provide image details for each image file (the title of work, date executed, media and dimensions). Add any brief narrative necessary to inform the jury about each individual work.
- A 500-word project proposal, stating reasons for the application and a description of the project you’d like to do during the residency.
- Pay the 20 Euro application fee (via Credit Card or PayPal).
Foreign Applicants Please Note: Accepted applicants must be able to speak and understand English.
For more information about the Artist Residency Program please read the FAQ page. If you have additional questions contact us.